Friday, December 04, 2015

Friday Books: Buddha's Dinner

Stealing Buddha's Dinner by Bich Minh Nguyen is a memoir. Nguyen, born in Viet Nam, came to America as a baby, with her father, grandmother, sister, and some uncles. She tells about the understandably difficult times she had as a child, trying to figure out the American culture, and trying hard to fit in. Her big focus as a child was the food that she wished she could eat: candies and fast food that she saw advertised on TV but which was not her family's usual fare.

Nguyen's writing is very good, and while I read, I was interested. However, the book was not that compelling (I got tired of the food talk); once put down it was easy to not go back to it. The last couple of chapters were superb and very moving as she is looking back to her life and finally figuring out her role in the world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always fun to read a review of a book I've read. I agree with you on the uncompelling comment. Too much "and then we" and not enough meaningful focus. Like you say, food goes only so far.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read the book, but I LOVE the poster/image you added. I have the sweater, I have the socks, I have a good book. I have tea. Looks like I need a box of chocolates and I'll be set for the next cold night! Happy Holidays!

Carol E. said...

Gram, that poster is perfect for you, isn't it?! You can either wear the sweater, or be knitting one, or both!