Friday, November 06, 2015

Friday Books: Burnt Paper Sky

Burnt Paper Sky by Gilly Macmillan -- This was a good book! It was hard to put down. It's about a mother whose 8-year-old son goes missing, and the story of her debilitating grief, the law enforcement search, and all the ups and downs they experience during this traumatic event. I don't usually read mysteries, but this was a mystery that I really enjoyed reading. It was well written, and the characters seemed like full, real humans. They were flawed in various ways, as people really are, and they learned things about themselves and others. The investigation had its ups and downs, too, as real investigations do, I'm sure. I couldn't decide if I should give it 4 or 5 stars. It's definitely up there among the best books I've read in a while. So I give it 4.5 stars. Apparently it will come out here in the USA in December, under a different title. The copy I read was a British publication.

By the way, I can't figure out why it has this title, Burnt Paper Sky, but that's going to change when it comes to the USA anyway. (I can't recall the new title. It's something that sounds very boring.)

No comments: