Friday, October 24, 2014

Friday Books: Abandoned

This week's book: Housekeeping by Marilynne Robinson. I read this book, sort of. I read the first half. I was getting bored; nothing seemed to be happening. It's about two sisters who live in a small town. Their guardians change: mom, grandmother, aunt... so their life is a bit odd, with frequent upheaval. Other than that, nothing much happens. I skimmed through the rest of the book, just to see if it would get more exciting. I couldn't tell, exactly, due to only skimming it, but I don't think I would have changed my mind. I hate to do this to a book by Marilynne Robinson; I absolutely loved her book, Gilead, and I love her writing. Yet with this one I was bored and wanted to move on to another book. I am hoping her new book, Lila, will be another one I will absolutely love. I'll read that one some time in the future.

a beautiful room in which to read

1 comment:

BarbCarol said...

I admire your courage to give it up. I force myself to finish, then can't remember any thing I read...just the wish to be reading something else.