Friday, July 11, 2014

Friday Books: How Green Was My Valley

How Green Was my Valley by Richard Llewellyn. Copyright 1943, this is an old book which I think I read as a teenager, and again now, almost 50 years later (the very same copy - found recently at my mom's home). I am sure I got much more out of it this time around. A small mining town in Wales is the setting, with focus on a young boy growing up in a family of miners. It's his coming-of-age story along with the story of the tough yet loving life they lived, the struggles with unions and mining management, and all the ramifications of turmoil in the town and all the townspeople.

The narrator is full of love for his homeland, his history, and his family. The language in this book sings. It's the love that shines through so strongly and leaves the biggest impression on me. Beautifully written and an awesome book.

No comments: