Friday, April 11, 2014

Friday Books: Amnesia

I Forgot to Remember: a Memoir of Amnesia by Su Meck. Su Meck is only 22 years old when she suffers a traumatic brain injury which wipes out all her memories. She is a young wife and mother; this book is her tale of stumbling through life, trying to make sense of the world around her. She admits that her children raised her as much as she raised them. She coped by watching others and copying them, doing what she thought she was expected to do.

It is hard to imagine living with no memories, and a new life, beginning with a blank slate at age 22. I am amazed she coped as well as she did. It's an interesting saga, with many ups and downs as she figures out her new person-hood. You may be surprised with some of the things she endures and some of her triumphs; this book is one of them.

2 comments:

dianneo said...

I like your Friday book posts. I decided to read this book. After reading it I sure was angry with her husband! Her life could have been so different with support from him. He really just escaped and left her on her own. Thanks for your posts!

Carol E. said...

Thanks for your nice comment. I mostly write about quilts, but my secret love is when readers visit my Friday Books posts and then choose to read books that I review. Thanks so much, and I agree, her husband was very unhelpful. It angered me, too.