Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Quilts For All Reasons

A member of our on-line quilt guild is currently in Peru with a Rotary mission team, doing free cleft lip/cleft palate surgeries. Our member is a non-medical volunteer. She has been able to take pictures of the patients with the quilts they are given after surgery. We recognize several of the quilts, made by our members and also made from our collections of blocks that we send to TS who assembles and finishes them.

We are loving seeing these pictures of people using our quilts.


This woman had cleft palate repair. She was given a quilt made from blocks we sent to TS. Three of the blocks in this quilt were made by me. She has her hand on one of them. The blocks I made are log-cabin style. Kind of hard to tell from the photo. Here is a picture of the quilt before it was donated.


Today I finished this little wall hanging quilt. It serves no useful, comforting purpose like the quilt above. I was inspired by another one I saw in blogland and thought I'd give it a try, too. The model that I saw was on a white background, and the scraps were in the blacks family. I thought I'd try mine in living color.


I'm not sure what I think of it. Do I like it or not? The jury is still out. I used a tea towel on the back. At first I was thinking it could be reversible, but it's really not. The back looks like a back, and I attached a hanging sleeve there.


I have a lot more fun making quilts that comfort people, but at least a wall hanging like this doesn't take much time. From start to finish it took about one day, broken up over two days with regular chores, running errands, and feeding myself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you decide you do not like the green quilt, I'll be glad to take it off your hands. :-)

It has been fun 'listening' to people on the listserv as they identify quilts they had made!

Pattilou said...

I like to make wall hangings, but the quilts that give me the most pleasure are the comfort quilts, too!

Brenda said...

oh, you have the same affliction as me -- it's fine to make a quilt that can cover or comfort someone, but I feel more guilty or uneasy making something just because or for decoration. what's the solution to this?

Carol E. said...

I say let go of the guilt! I don't feel any guilt about it... I just don't enjoy making decorative quilts as much as useful, cuddly, comfort quilts.

Sometimes, though, it's just fun to putz around and make a small wall hanging in a day.