Friday, April 06, 2012

Friday Books: Kindle

Can you carry around this many books? I can -- in my Kindle!


This week I read two books that were in my Kindle.

1)The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and Love by Kristin Kimball. Very interesting book about a city girl who meets and falls in love with a man who wants to run a farm. Together they start a farm from scratch; this is the story of development of both the farm and their relationship. Very interesting, and I learned a lot in addition to being reminded never to attempt to be a farmer or farmer's wife myself. I would be an utter failure. 4 stars

2) Jumping Off Swings by Jo Knowles. This was a good book; I read it in about 24 hours. It was about teenagers and how the pregnancy of one girl touches so many lives, how they are carried through that experience and learn various things about themselves and others... the characters were a good mix of personalities and all were well developed, I thought. I give it 4 stars.

I am halfway through a third book (hard copy) on which I will report next Friday.

3 comments:

Sextant said...

Wished listed the Dirty Life. Interesting transition, but you have to love to work to get involved with a farm.

I don't believe a return to draft animals is very realistic in a real world sense. Draft animals are solar powered, you have to devote a lot of acreage to power them. Of course you don't have the processing costs of converting photosynthesis to ethanol, but you do have to shovel a lot of crap.

Then again tractors are solar powered too, but the sunshine has been concentrated by time in the form of petroleum. A full scale return to draft animals may work in a world of 2 billion people, but not 7 billion.

But beside my nitpicking about draft animals this book looks interesting.

Unknown said...

They both sound good... This week I read... Weird Sisters...which was quirky but good and I read was Some Assembly Required which I adored... I am currently reading Love Wins by Rob Bell and In the Garden of Beasts...I am going to honor today, Good Friday to Love Wins...

Sarah said...

Dirty Work sounds interesting - I put it on hold at my library.

You might also like "Farm Hands: Hard work and hard lessons from Western New York fields" by Tom Rivers. Tom writes for one of the local papers and did a series on what it was like to work at local farms (My county has more cows than peeps). He then converted the articles into a book. Very interesting read.