Sunday, January 16, 2011

Ramblings

I find it hard to believe that Saturday would have been Martin Luther King, Jr's 82nd birthday! I wonder how our world would have evolved differently had he lived this long. I'm sad that our country is so violent and that we have this tendency to assassinate the good people. Will we ever learn?

I was 15 when he was shot. I remember exactly where I was. I was at home, in the living room. I heard my mother's running, stomping feet upstairs, then she yelled down the stairs to my dad that Rev. King had been shot. I didn't know what to think. I was shocked yet kind of frozen. It was a weird feeling.

Anyway, I feel lucky to have been alive while MLK, Jr. was active in the movement, and to have been old enough to remember those days. I got to meet his father, MLK Sr., four years later in Atlanta. I'm more in awe of that now than I was then! I knew it was significant, but... now I can hardly believe I was that close to fame and fabulousness.

This morning at church Megan (the youth and outreach director) preached. We have a great ministry team at my church! They inspire me. I'm trying to sort through my swirling thoughts on the things going on at church. They're good things; I just have to ponder them.

Do you have a favorite scripture verse? I think one of mine is this: "Mary kept these things and pondered them in her heart." When I had my babies I knew exactly what this meant. Motherhood caused me to keep things and ponder them in my heart.

I am really rambling. This post is a little bit of everything! I started a book yesterday: After the Bombs. I read about 80 pages, but I just could not go on. It tells of a time in Guatemala of corruption, death, unrest, very unstable government, atrocities witnessed by children... I just couldn't read another page. So now I am between books for a day or two while I decide what shall be next.

Today after church I watched football and knitted. I made a 2nd preemie hat. This one is TINY. They said they need hats to "fit an orange" and up to newborn, so this one is about an orange size. Here's a pic:

No comments: