Wednesday, January 05, 2011

First Book of 2011

I finished my first book for the year: The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. I'm doing the A-Z challenge again, this time by author. Obviously, I'm not reading them in order. I chose to read Tom Sawyer, because I subbed in an 8th grade English class for a couple of days, and they are reading it. The discussions interested me, so I started it, too. I enjoyed the adventure and the clever writing. It has some exciting parts. The context is in a very different time: frequent use of the n-word, for example. Getting past that, I could see Twain making little jabs at our hypocrisies, our tendency to pre-judge, and our insistence on conforming. I hope I get to sub in that 8th grade class again, and see how their discussion is progressing.

I have been looking ahead to what I want to read next, and every single book I looked at had an author whose name begins with a B. I could read four million books by B authors. Then our reading group at church is starting a new one, and guess what: the author's last name starts with a B.



So today I chose one based on its due date at the library (soon). I am currently reading Born Under a Million Shadows by Andrea Busfield. It takes place in Afghanistan. Hmmm...the boy on the cover looks like a Kite Runner, doesn't he?!

(Trying to remember to include my gratitude list every time I post.)
Today I'm thankful for:
1. sleeping in
2. my sewing burn-out went away, and I'm enjoying sewing again
3. subbing on a part-time basis
4. good books
5. warm toes in my new Smart Wool socks

No comments: