Saturday, December 04, 2010

Quilt For Sale - Silent Auction

Quilt for sale! Recently this quilt was donated to the local United Methodist Women's unit of which I am president. It is being used to raise funds to further our work in supporting mission.* We are offering it for sale via silent auction.



The top was hand quilted by a group of women in 1988. The quilt is approximately twin size (a large twin, possibly a full size quilt). I'll measure it on Dec. 5 to get the exact size and will add that info here.

As a reader of my blog, if you would like to own this quilt, you are invited to bid on it! To bid on this quilt, send me a private email with your name and bid amount. Minimum bid is $50. If you win this quilt, I will ship it to you free (in the U.S.A.) Leave a comment here, and I will send you my e-mail address.

Silent Auction closes on December 12, 2010 at exactly noon (Central Standard Time).



High bids will be posted (numbers only, no names) periodically so you can see where you stand in the competition for this warm and lovely quilt. You may re-bid at any time until the auction closes.

Bid generously to win, and also to help UMW support local and global mission work.

* UMW supports a lot of mission work such as a housing project right here in Minnesota that helps women who are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless.. giving them support to get back on their feet and be self sufficient. UMW supports similar work to help women and children around the world.

Further details: This is a pretty quilt, and a nice, large size and is warm. I believe the batting is polyester. The original owner says the top was made in the 1930's, but I believe there are several fabrics that are newer and are repros rather than actual 30's fabrics. There are some authentic 30's pieces, I believe, but not all. Check out the bright red that pops out in the photos. I don't think those are from the 30's.

It is hand quilted by a group, therefore stitch consistency is what you get from a group. It does not have traditional binding. Here is a picture showing that detail:



My impression: a nice, cuddly, warm, pretty quilt. Not super-well put together, but it's not terrible. You could probably own this quilt for an affordable price. Don't expect it to turn into an heirloom, but it should give you many hours of happy, warm cuddles.

1 comment:

BrendaLou said...

Hi Carol, Great Quilt. Just a note....I am pretty sure that 1930's fabrics were not yet in reproduction in 1988. My guess (without seeing (and feeling) the quilt in person is that there are authentic 1920-1950's fabrics and also some of the pastel "calicos' of the 70's & 80's. Absolutely beautiful and full of great fabrics.