Sunday, October 24, 2010

Back to Normal

Hooray!! I got my friendly sewing machine back Friday evening. It's lovely and clean and purrs like a kitten. I did a lot of sewing on Saturday and Sunday, on one project that I'm not showing you yet. (Some of you may have seen it on another list, but for the rest of you, it's a secret, simply because I want to think about it more before I finish it. Hold your horses, OK? You may not even like it.)



I also got some knitting done. Worked some more on my first-ever sock which is going well. And I made another dish cloth. A friend wants to buy some from me. I had these ready for my church bazaar this next Wednesday, but I decided to let her buy them early. The money will still go to the bazaar which ultimately is for global mission work.

And... ta-da! ... I am finally an official substitute interpreter in my old school district and have done a few hours work. I've worked a few random meetings, two hours here, two hours there. I love having a bit of work, keeping my fingers in the field, so to speak, and also love the ability to say no. I am in the process of being approved to be a substitute special ed assistant in a neighboring school district. I'm happy that I have a few skills that allow me to work on an occasional basis when I want to. This retirement gig is great!

On previous posts I forgot that I had re-instituted my gratefulness list. Today I remembered.

I'm thankful for:
1) skills that I can still use in this economy and that keep me employed to the extent that I want.
2) gorgeous fall weather; we have been utterly spoiled this year.
3) great books (book group is currently reading Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore, and I'm loving it).
4) a repaired and smooth-running sewing machine.
5) friends... a new friend passed away this week; I'm sad I didn't have a chance to get to know her better, but lucky I met her at all... and other friends in my life who inspire and challenge me. I'm so blessed!

1 comment:

BrendaLou said...

"keeping my fingers in the field" You crack me up!