Thursday, August 26, 2010

Unafraid of the Dark



Dear Rosemary Bray,

Thank you for writing your memoir and giving it a title that begins with the letter “U.” I was on a search for a “U” book to satisfy my A-Z challenge, and I ran across your book, Unafraid of the Dark. I read it, and I loved it.

You and I are from the same generation. The historical context of your growing up years was the same as mine… but our life circumstances were completely different. It is good for me to learn about and keep in mind how my white, privileged life may affect the way I think and behave.. and how that may impact others.

I so admire your hard work all through your life. I was touched by your friendship with “Royce.” I want to be the kind of person who would do the same.. but I know I sometimes let my fears dictate what I do instead of my sense of longing to do what is right.

I also admire your understanding of the complex issues that we need to face in this country. So many policies are upside down and just wrong! It can be so discouraging. Thank you for your clear discussion of the issues and your optimism that we can all work our way toward morning!

Your newest fan,
Carol E. of Giraffe Dreams

1 comment:

Julie Sharer said...

Sounds like a great book; now I want to add that to my list! Thanks for sharing.