Friday, August 13, 2010

Reading Challenge: X -- A Real Challenge

photo is from anthonypounds (dot) blogspot (dot) com



It was hard to find an X book, and then the one I chose was hard to read.

The book is Project X: A Novel by Jim Shepard. It was not an easy or a happy book.. it is the story of two middle-school-age boys who plan to do a school shooting ala Columbine. Most of it deals with the inside thoughts and turmoil of one of the two boys... it is heart-breaking to read his thoughts about what a worthless person he is. That age and stage in life is so hard anyway, and then to feel like you're on the bottom of the heap, and a school shooting is a solution... it was just really difficult subject matter. It ends rather abruptly. I want to know a little more. But, as I think about it, the abrupt ending is perfect for the style and subject of the book.

I'm glad I can go on to another book. I hope the X book doesn't give me nightmares!
-------

P.S. Beware of doing an internet search for images of the letter X. I should have known I would find a lot of stuff I didn't really want to see.

1 comment:

Clare said...

Gracious Carol - that's a tough one.

Hope you find something a bit lighter and not so scary for your next book.