Monday, August 02, 2010

My Z Book

picture of New Orleans French Quarter by kotiposti (dot) net

The first (no.. the 2nd) book I read on my Kindle was Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. What a good book! I didn't know much about it, but ordered it because it started with a "Z." As good a reason as any, I suppose.

Zeitoun is the last name of the main character. He is always referred to by this name throughout the book. It's the story of Zeitoun and his wife (and their kids) before, during and after Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

It's fascinating! It's much more than just the hurricane story. Zeitoun is Muslim, and orginally from Syria. So... in the post-911 era in this country, just those two facts are enough to cause some ... well, I don't want to spoil the story. It's so well-done and is TRUE. I recommend this very interesting and thought-provoking book.

(Just in case you were wondering, yes there are pictures in the book, and yes, pictures come through in the Kindle, too - in black and white.)

No comments: