Sunday, August 08, 2010

A Big Quilt and a HOT Day

Look at this big quilt! It is for Kandee. I finally got it put together and figured out borders. [Border details, in case you want to know: I continued the star pattern into the borders on the two sides (in this first picture, the sides are held at top and bottom.) And I added squares of the colors used in the quilt.. top and bottom borders are only the squares, not the continuation of the stars.]

This is a generous queen-size quilt, about 84" x 105". Thanks so much for all the block donations, my generous internet friends! I will get this to the machine quilter this week.




My daughter and husband had a hard time holding this up high enough; that's how big it is. So I spread it out in my hallway spot; it was hard to really highlight the quilt here, as well.

I got the last border on this top, and then had to run. A group from my church had an appointment on the Padelford boat on the Mississippi River today... I thought about not going, because it was so HOT outside, but decided to go. (I heard that the boat is air conditioned.) Our heat index today was 103 degrees F.

Daddy and the twins are preparing for the loud blast of the whistle

Got there, sat on the outside deck, but found it awfully hot.. so I tried the downstairs deck which was "air conditioned." So they say. It felt about 3 degrees cooler, and lots stuffier. Back upstairs I went, and once the boat took off, the cooling breeze off the river felt pretty good.

chatting in the breeze.. it felt good once the boat got moving

a teeny-tiny boat, with a teeny-tiny tarp, providing teen-tiny shade



This is a guy's house! He built himself a little river-view shack and lives there! I'm not sure how he's allowed to stay there.. might be a fun retirement home idea for me next year! I could afford one about this fancy.

tug-boat pushing a barge went chugging past us

The drive home was too hot! I could hardly wait to get home. I'm reminded again how much I love fall: my favorite time of year. Fall can be BIG, but it is rarely HOT.

5 comments:

Yvette said...

WOW! The quilt looks fantastic!! You did a great job putting it together. I can't wait till you give it to her.

Nancy said...

The quilt is beautiful!

And the twins are so cute... I remember when my girls were that little. Now they are all but 17.... how time flies.

thanks for sharing!

Pattilou said...

The quilt is going to be just lovely. Nice choice of a block on your part. The finishing of the border the way you did is nothing short of intelligent!

Jo said...

I love fall too. It's always glorious.

Your quilt is gorgeous...! So is your family...!

BrendaLou said...

The quilt for Kandee turned out well. bless you for being the organizer and quilt builder. Someday I'm going to have to do the boat trip when I'm in the Twin Cities. Hoping for 3-4 weeks either Sept/Oct or November.