Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Barbed Wire Quilt



I worked hard on this quilt. The border required 364 pieces! I love this border pattern. But it's too pretty for this funky quilt middle. The middle is made of leftovers, and the strips were cut several years ago when I wasn't as good at cutting. Man, were they off! I had to patch and mend in order to get the middle and the border to work together.

It was a chore.

Then I took this picture and decided the border looks like a barbed wire fence. Not the result I was looking for.

Maybe I'll like it better once I get it quilted.

***

Things I'm thankful for:
1. a warm house (it's currently 6 below zero, F)
2. beautiful blue skies
3. my camera and the ability to take nice pictures
4. friends
5. wishes, dreams

7 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

If your quilts are anything like mine, they are ALWAYS better once quilted and tossed over the back of a chair or couch. They are so lifeless as flimsys flat on a wall.

Not barbed wire, more like a vine wound around and around a fence rail/post...

Anonymous said...

I was thinking th same as Quiltdivajulie - vine around your patio railing. BUt I like how it looks.
I'm thankful you often share what you are thankful for.

Cathie said...

I think it reminds me of a crown of thorns. Could inspire some reflection, if you look at it that way, and the center is kind of stained-glass-ish. I like the center - the simplicity and colors make sense with the more ornate pattern of the border. Good job.

08armydoc said...

love it!

Tracey in CT said...

That's a pretty neat border, Carol! I think if you quilt some curvy lines into those gray triangles (like from the green inner border out toward the points of the triangles around the corner and onto the straight part of the gray strip) it might soften the corners enough that it could look like ribbons twisting around the green inner border. Okay, I just read that and it seems confusing, but I think you'll know what I mean.

Unknown said...

I love the quilt! It's such a great way to use up fabric! I find that the quilt is never right till it's tossed in the washer and dryer for the look of used!
My friend who isn't much of a quilter is always amazed as she takes her dried quilt out and sees how beautiful they look no matter what...it's the love.

AnnieO said...

I thought "vines" too, or a Celtic inspired border! Ooh, it is a pretty one!. I confess I am not a great cutter. I always cut extra so I can discard the REALLY bad ones!