Saturday, November 28, 2009

Hard, Physical Labor



Did you know that making quilts involves hard, physical labor? Well, it does! I spent most of Friday evening and all-day Saturday working on a quilt, and my bod is sore!

Friday night I had to do boat loads of cutting strips. Cut, cut, cut, cut... my shoulders and hands were so sore. I thought they would hurt on Saturday, but I guess my good night's sleep helped them recover.

Saturday (today) I sewed blocks together.. sew, sew, sew, sew... which, if I'm not careful, can turn into a frozen state of bending and staring at my machine, which hurts my back. I have abandoned my previous ironing spot because the outlet seems to be on the fritz, so it was up and down the stairs (to use the built-in ironing board and reliable outlet) all.day.long. I think I did enough stair aerobics today to burn off a couple of those Thanksgiving pies I ate.

These strips and pieces were started seven (yes, that says 7) years ago. I'm good at this: I get excited about a pattern or some fabrics, and I start in with great intentions. Then I get bored and set it aside. I think this may be my oldest UFO, but I can't promise. I'll probably unearth some older ones eventually.

Anyway, I apparently didn't know how to plan seven years ago, because I had enough strips to make 15 king-size quilts! That is just a slight exaggeration. Of course, I only had that many in three of the sizes I needed. That's why I had to cut so many more strips on Friday.

So, there I was (finally) with umpteen blocks put together, sore shoulders, hands, neck, and back from all the work I'd done. Then I hauled them into the living room to play with them on the floor. Oops, first I had to vacuum and move furniture around. More ouchies. Then I got to bend and crawl and scooch all around the living room, laying out the blocks, moving and rearranging. So that was straining my back and my knees. Also, I had to shut the doors to keep the cat out of the re-arranging game (he does it with great gusto), so then I got hot.

I was going to make a queen-size quilt, even though I wasn't sure what to do with one that large in these colors (brown). Finally I decided to make a twin-size quilt which I can use in our extra bedroom... and the leftovers will go into a donation quilt for an unknown child somewhere on earth. (More crawling around and rearranging on the floor.) I need to make only four more little blocks to have enough for the two projects. I'll get right on that...maybe tomorrow. The mess of strips and leftovers is still all over the dining room table.

The picture above is the blocks as they will be sewn together into the twin-size quilt. First I need to rest up my poor, aching body. Tomorrow I'll start all over again on the project I should have been working on this weekend.. the one with a looming deadline. Wish me luck and stamina to get all this work done! (Do you feel sorry for me yet?)

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe a little sorry... Sounds complicated yet fun! I love the colors.. I am a fan of browns and deeper colors...reminds me of nature!

CarlaHR said...

Sorry your aching but I am sure that you are proud of what you managed to accomplish, I know I would be. That's going to be a lovely quilt when you finish - the design (I would call it bar charts) looks so simple that I'm going to take a stab at it soon.

BrendaLou said...

yes--quilting is not a sport for sissies! I always make sure the iron is across the room so I can get some up and down and not so much sitting, sitting. I remember this pattern...faux log cabin or some such, wasn't it? I like yours even though I'm not a huge fan of browns either (just having made three (count em, three) queen pink & brown or pepperming & sassifrass Civil War quilts). The extras will be fine for Sunshine!

Elaine Adair said...

No pain, no gain! Look at the lovely end result! 8-))) Now, come up with a good name for it related to the WORK! 8-))

Jill said...

It's beautiful Carol - you've inspired me to pull out some of my UFOs after the holidays.

hetty said...

Lovely blocks Carol! I love the colours, so earthy. I think one has to be a quilter to understand the pain, so I know of what you speak! Good for you for going back to a quilt you started 7 years ago!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

I really like the looks/feel of this one! Congrats on working from the UFO's. Hope your aches are feeling better soon :)

Torina said...

All your hard work is paying off! That is a delicious fall quilt. Browns are so warm and, well, you can't go wrong with a color that is like chocolate.

As for the physical labor, I'm totally with you. That is why I haven't been able to do much sewing (except in 5 minute increments) since June. :(

Nettie & Friends said...

So there's the UFO which turns into a new project and then there are the parts which become the new UFO unless you can get it all to work out like cake and ice cream. I never can... I've been making a LOT of little bags with the leftovers from a previous quilt. a LOT of little bags... some of which are in the UFO state and the vicious circle continues, thankfully! Kinda like a dog chasing it's tail!!

Gari in AL said...

No pity here. I am impressed that you stuck with it: don't give up. I have spent this past year attempting to be working on a UFO at all times. It has been interesting and has left me with a great sense of accomplishment. You go girl!!

AnnieO said...

Quilt Aerobics is yet to be offered at the gym, until it is I will stick to the home-style method, like you! Glad you got these old blocks out to play and came up with a better plan for them. I have a few cobwebby ones I can't decide what to do with yet...

Anonymous said...

I love the colorway on your squares!

Andrea, the little collector said...

So much work, but Ooooooh, I love how it looks!