Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Yummy Salad

I don't think I have ever posted a recipe before. I can cook, I just don't like to. So I do it as infrequently as possible. Luckily my hubby is a good cook, though we both have slowed way down in the culinary arts since our children left home. (Somehow the motivation is quite different without them here.)


Well, this recipe is worth sharing. I got it from my sister. It makes a very tasty salad, isn't hard to do, and it's great for a pot luck or special share-with-friends meal. It goes FAST at pot lucks. We made this for our son's graduation party last weekend, and it was a hit.


Black Bean and Rice Salad

1 can (16 oz) black beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
1 cup cooked white rice (1/3-1/2 cup raw)
5 oz. frozen corn, thawed
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1 sweet red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Dressing:

1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 tsp each of salt and pepper


Mix all ingredients, toss with dressing and refrigerate. Keeps well for several days. Great vegetarian/vegan main dish, or side dish with grilled meats. Recipe can easily be doubled to serve a big group. It's always a hit!

8 comments:

Booper said...

YUMMO!!! *pats tummy!* :)

Bebesboutique said...

Sounds and looks good! Think I will have to try it for our next get together! Thanks!

AnnieO said...

Very enticing! My boss is a vegetarian and this would be a great dish to let him try. Thanks for sharing.

Clare said...

Got a big party to cater for at the beginning of August and this is going to be on the menu. Yum! Thanks for sharing.

Julie Sharer said...

Yummy! Always looking for good vegetarian recipes. I think we'll make this in Houston! Thanks for sharing!

Twisted Quilts said...

That looks great. I am always looking for good things to serve when we cook out at the beach and this is perfect! Thanks for sharing.

Vivian said...

Sounds like a delicious salad. I'll definitely be trying it soon. I appreciate the photo of the dish. Yum!

hetty said...

Yum! Sounds good and looks good. Think I will try this for the next pot luck. I have made bean salads before, but never with rice added. Thanks for sharing.