Thursday, May 07, 2009

My New Toy

Yesterday I started a new project. These are the very beginning pieces. I hope to zip through this one and get it done quickly. I'll show you the finished quilt soon, I hope!





Also yesterday I got a new toy! A friend at church gave this to me... it's a Sewmor which was made in Japan post-World War II, about the same time the Featherweights were being made. Maybe they were trying to get in on the FW market. For some reason I am thinking my model was made in 1952 (same year I was made). But I'm not sure until I can find more definitive information.

Anyway, it has this cute cabinet, and I'm dying to start sewing on it. It runs quietly and smoothly, but I just don't know how to thread the darn thing! I went online and found an owner's manual to order. Now I have to wait for that to arrive.

Does anyone know much about the Sewmors? There isn't much info I can find online. I had never heard of them until my friend mentioned it. I am so happy to have this cute little thing! And very eager to get started playing with it. I'll keep you posted on how life goes with my new toy.






Gratitudes:

1) friends who share
2) daughter visited for dinner last night
3) yesterday was a gorgeous day
4) pretty birds that visit our yard and twitter cheerfully in the trees
5) lucky to have such a nice camera

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh if it sews great, what a great gift.. also it's level table makes it great for piecing.
I've never heard of this machine, but love that table.
It's looking like in great shape.
Wahooooooo!

Twisted Quilts said...

What a great friend. It looks so much like a featherweight. How does it sew?

Andrea, the little collector said...

Oooh, how fun! Good luck on getting to know her.

Darcie said...

Oohlala. I am liking your fabric choices already, Carol!!!

Your Sewmor is adorable. And the cabinet looks to be in pristine condition as well. Very nice!

Bebesboutique said...

Love your new toy. Sorry I don't know anything about how to thread it.
I can't wait to see what you do with your half square triangles. Love the colors.

Booper said...

wow, very nice! It looks like it's brand new - the sewmor. can't wait to hear how you like sewing on it. :)

Anonymous said...

I love those bright fabrics!

Chris Daly said...

oh you lucky gal!!!

Craftygirl said...

That looks like the spiritual cousin of the singer 99 I learned on. Here's a threading diagram.

Good luck!!!



http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diagrams/Threading_Pages/Singer_Sewing_Machine_Threading/singer_99K_threading_diagram.htm

Helen said...

What a cutie machine. It looks like it is in excellent condition. Lucky you!