Sunday, April 26, 2009

Can You Say "Mold Spores?"

I worked my butt off all day Saturday. Today I'm recovering.

A group from my church joined another church, and we went by bus to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. They had the terrible flood there last June '08; they still need lots of work on rebuilding. So off we went. I was surprised at the extent of the damage, and the still-vacant and crumbling houses. I know, I shouldn't have been surprised, but it's different seeing it in person than it is on the news. Here is our prayer circle just before leaving at 6:30 a.m. The woman right in front of the camera is a friend from way back. We used to attend the same church, but we eventually left to attend churches closer to our homes. It was fun being on a team with her after so many years!

Anyone recognize the woman standing in the middle of the photo below? She's my friend from Walk a Mile.







Teams were assigned to different places. Some went to homes and helped put up sheetrock, others painted, and my group went to an abandoned church that had been left sitting since last June. It's better if they can do the tearing out right away, but this one had been left, so the mold had been allowed to develop and grow. We all wore face masks, and the team assigned to the basement needed body suits in addition. (My friend from way back was on that team. We often met outside on the "break bench".)


We hauled out all the church pews, tore up carpet, and removed the lower half of the plaster walls. It was hard, physical labor! I'm glad I went, because the needs were obvious, but if I'd known how hard I'd have to work, I probably would have opted out. However, it ended up being a good lesson in "going with the flow." I did the best I could, took breaks when I needed to (as the senior member on our team, this was more frequent than the others). In the end I felt like I had made a good contribution and accomplished a lot.




Last night I fell into bed, and I slept like a rock. Today I have been taking it easy, and so far have taken one nap. I'm stiff and sore, but it actually feels good to have done some hard work.

Today I am thankful for:

1) my comfortable bed

2) rain

3) opportunities to help

4) Megan preaching today (and encouraging us to think about what we are thankful for every day.. I'm starting with five)

5) naps

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great summary... mind if I borrow some pics if I remember to give credit?? I enjoyed the time...it seems rather surreal tho... Like where did my weekend go?? I liked meeting new people... and watching dumb movies! lol

Craftygirl said...

Carol, just this evening I was looking at my "Yes We Can" sticker that I framed and thinking, I ought to get out and do something and here I am reading about your work this weekend! Good for you! YES YOU DID!!! Way to go!