Monday, December 29, 2008

Have a Cow! - Post #400


a girl in Nepal hugs her family's goat

This is my post #400! I started this blog in January 2006. It has been almost 3 years of blogging! What fun this has been! I love that I have "met" people from all over the world, and that I have learned so much from other bloggers. Thanks to all the quilters, moms, friends, writers, and artists whose blogs I have visited and your advice or inspiration from which I have benefited.

So in celebration of my Post #400, I am offering a challenge to my readers. Please go to this website,
http://www.heifer.org
read about Heifer International, and make a donation if you can! Heifer started in 1944, understanding that "peace can only begin where hunger and poverty end." What they do is provide an animal such as a goat, a llama, a flock of geese, a cow, to a family in need.. they teach the family how to care for the animal and how to use its resources. The animal provides milk for the family, or provides labor (such as pulling a plow) or provides protein and/or provides products that can be sold. This helps the family become self-sufficient. In return for receiving the animal, the family promises to pass on an offspring to another family and also helps teach them how to care for it. So the cycle keeps giving, and the sustenance helps the health and happiness of many families!

I am going to make a donation to Heifer, also. It kind of depends on how many comments I get. Maybe I'll make a donation of $1.00 per comment. Maybe 1 penny per comment, or if I get a bazillion comments, maybe I'll donate a flat amount. This will be decided after I see how many comments I get and what I can afford.

I'm happy to introduce my readers to this wonderful organization, Heifer International, and I hope that most or all of you will make a donation. Even a small amount will help the project. (And by the way, this particular charity is an excellent steward of resources, with a very high rating, so you know that your money is going to where it is needed. This is one reason I continue to give to Heifer.)

Thanks to all, and if you can, please donate to Heifer! And leave a comment, please, to give me a challenge, too.

19 comments:

Donna said...

comment love coming your way :-) Supporting a charity you believe in is a great way of celebrating your posting milestone! Looking forwared to the next 400 :-)

Torina said...

Woo hoo! I love this! Great charity.

Unknown said...

Super Duper Awesome! WTG Carol!

Sara said...

We LOVE Heifer Project in our family. Have a Heifer Christmas Market at church every year in early December. This year we gave our kids and grandkids trees and a pig. I always give my "honey" a swarm of Bees. And this year our son and DIL gave me a "half a water buffalo", then DH opened his vard and it said. "The other half of the water buffalo". I buy a couple of flocks of chicks for my Wednesday breakfast group.

I am so on board with this idea!
Sending $5 more today.

08armydoc said...

what a great challenge Carol! I'll head over there now!

Leslie

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

Congrats on Comment #400! : )

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

D'oh! I meant **Post**... hey, this means an extra comment count for you! : )

Pam said...

Great challenge! I never comment but enjoy your blog. Congrats on reaching 400!

Megs said...

I hope you raise enough to buy a goat. I love goats. LOL

I'll add a little to my yearly donation in your name, Carol! :)

Melissa Kaye said...

400! Wowsers lady! Can't wait for the next 400!

BrendaLou said...

We've been fans of the Heifer Project for about 20 years! My brothers and I quit exchanging gifts years ago and now give each other swarms of bees or flocks of chicks or goats or ....whatever grabs our fancy that year. Fantastic program.

Tonya Ricucci said...

congrats on post #400! The Heifer Project is a great organisation.

Twisted Quilts said...

Congrats on #400, very impressive. I have been looking for this website thanks for posting it.

Unknown said...

Every year since I was a kid we've given a birthday present to Jesus on Christmas, and this was ours last year. We bought a yak. Maybe I'll get a few ducks. :)

Cherie Moore said...

What a great way to celebrate your 400th post. I don't think most Americans appreciate just how much we have in comparison to others in the world. I'm giving a flock of chicks :)

Janet said...

This is a great organization! Glad to see you are supporting it. I can't believe you have 400 posts already. I am not as diligent as you on my blog as life seems to be taking more time lately.

Chris Daly said...

What a wonderful idea for a post. Congratulations on post 400!

Caron said...

A llama was my most recent gift to my family via heifer. I made little llama ornaments for us.

Thanks for making your blog such an inspiring place to visit!
caron

Unknown said...

My sister did that in our name for Christmas!