Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Unbelievable Coincidences

Back in February I posted pictures of two quilts I was handing off for personal delivery in Panama. I was born in Panama and thought it would be great to give quilts to some current Panama babies. When my sister and mom planned a trip there recently, I had the golden opportunity to send along quilts. My sister added one to the pile; they had three quilts and had the mission of finding a good place to donate them somewhere in Panama.

As part of the trip, they spent time looking for the houses we had lived in. Some no longer exist, but they did find this one. It was the last house we lived in there; we moved away in 1955!



Now here is one of the coinkydinks: after the Panama Canal Zone was given back to Panama, much of the former Canal Zone housing has been abandoned. (There are several reasons for that which I don't have time to explain.) In fact, the block we lived on appears to be nearly completely abandoned, except for our house! Currently a doctor lives there, and he has done a lot of remodeling and very nice upkeep. The house looks great! How easily it could have been that our house was abandoned and crumbling! But no, it's the one house that has been preserved. Here are three abandoned buildings right next to the house that was ours.



Anyway, the doctor who now owns our former house noticed my family members taking photographs, and invited them in for a tour! Can you imagine the fun my mom had, seeing her house 53 years later?? At the end of their visit, Mom asked him for a business card. Lo and behold, (another fun coinkydink coming) she discovered that he is an obstetrician! Voila! A perfect person to take charge of our three quilts.





He was delighted to take them and promised to deliver them to families who really have a need. There will be no shortage of appropriate recipients, I'm sure. I wasn't lucky enough to see exactly where and to whom my quilts were delivered, but getting these pictures of the "delivery man" was almost as good. Doesn't he seem pleased at the prospect of delivering these? In a couple of these photos he is reading the labels on the quilt backs and is looking at the Minnesota-themed fabric I used on the back of one of them.







All the planets were aligned, (or something!) to have all these happy events come together in one day! It surely gives me something to smile about!

13 comments:

YankeeQuilter said...

What a great story! I'm sure he will find some deserving folks for the quilts. I visited friends in Panama in the late 80's and really enjoyed it.

Sio

Clare said...

A lovely story. Amazing how your old house is still standing and the others aren't.

Is he going to let you know who the quilts go to?

Darcie said...

That is so heartwarming! Headlines worthy! ;-) The only thing that would have made it totally perfect: You being there too. ;-) Thanks so much for sharing that, Carol!

dot said...

What a great story.

Elaine Adair said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elaine Adair said...

This is a great story, but even better is your word "coinkidink" Should be in the dictionary! (did I spell it right?)

Unknown said...

Carol
That sure is something to smile about! Beth

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift! Both from you and to you.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

What a wonderful story...I'm sure the Dr. will make sure your quilts are given wisely :)

Caron said...

I love when life gives you those coincidences. Great story.

comicbooklady said...

what a wonderful story! It has me smiling too!

Greenmare said...

not only are the planets aligned so are the birds in the pictures!

jovaliquilts said...

I followed a link from Tonya's blog (Lazy Gal) and started reading through your blog. Good timing -- I lived in the Canal Zone for 4 years! (1962-1966). My brother-in-law visited a few years ago and said it's changed so much. How wonderful that you were able to send quilts there!