Sunday, March 02, 2008

What's a Sewing Machine?

I haven't done any sewing for several days. I'm almost forgetting how! Today I finally went back to my machine to make some blocks, and I actually had to stop and think for a minute how I do my HSTs. I mean, those should almost be automatic, like I could do them in my sleep!

It came back to me in a hurry, and I managed to make two blocks. Then I got tired of sewing again, and went back to reading. I'm on a reading blitz these days. I am feeling a little burned out on sewing after getting ready for the show, and I burned through my inspiration that came from the show. Now reading is my focus until I get bitten by the sewing bug again.

In the last week I've read the following books:
Good Grief by Lolly Winton
From Baghdad, With Love by Jay Kopelman and M. Roth
The Know-It-All by A.J. Jacobs is in progress (funny book!)





I went to visit my mom over the weekend. Her 87th birthday is this week! I had a nice visit with her. I'm so happy she is still pretty healthy and spry. I hope I age that well. (All that smoke is from only 12 candles!)



Remember back when we were challenged to post pictures of our laundry rooms without cleaning them up first? Here's how mine looked a few days ago. The dryer quit working, and my hubby pulled it all apart to see what was wrong. He replaced the motor, and now it works better than ever. It's so quiet that we can hardly tell it's running, whereas we used to be able to hear it easily from one floor above.



Heather tagged me with a new kind of tag that I haven't seen before:

You're supposed to reach for the nearest book,
turn to page 123,
and type sentences 5, 6, and 7 into your blog.

My nearest book is __Neither Wolf Nor Dog__ by Kent Nerburn (a book I highly recommend, by the way). It's on the shelf right above my computer. Here are sentences 5-7 on page 123:
I marveled at the sense of well-being that this vast landscape induced in me. There were no jagged edges, no fragments of meaning. All was massive, singular, and soft under the prayerful canopy of the sky.

So let's see... for this one I want to tag some people who I know love to read. So I will tag Mary and Sharon.

Let's see what books they have close at hand, especially Mary who has several in her Kindle. How will she choose??

4 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

Well, I just finished Ken Follett's World Without End and started Sue Miller's The Senator's Wife.

However, the Kindle doesn't have page numbers - it has locations. Since the text size can be adjusted the page I'm actually would be dependant on how large my text is. It takes a little to get used to because there's a range of locations on each *page* rather than a single number. Luckily, I can just bookmark my place and not worry about remembering locations or page numbers!

I really enjoyed reading The Know-it-All.

YankeeQuilter said...

I also just finished World Without End and am now "in between books." I go to the library on Wednesday so I may have to shop my own shelves in the meantime.

Shows do take a lot out of you. You'll be back to sewing when the time is right.

Sio

Darcie said...

Enjoy your "vacation" from sewing. You will remember everything when the fancy hits you, I promise. ;-)

Happy Birthday to your Mom!

Quiltgranny said...

I just posted my book excerpt on my blog, so I won't repeat it here. What was interesting, though, is that the excerpt came from the ONLY part of the book that I liked. (House Made of Dawn). And I am hoping for a Kindle for my birthday, but I'm not sure if hubby is convinced about that yet or not. Happy Birthday to your mom!