Saturday, December 08, 2007

I Said the Donkey, by Karen



I love this song! Do you know it? "I," said the donkey, shaggy and brown. "I carried his mother up hill and down. I carried his mother to Bethlehem town. I," said the donkey, shaggy and brown. Click here to read the verses and hear the tune.

My friend, Karen, is my high school pal... now we are both grown-ups and both quilters. It has been so much fun to re-connect and to have this hobby in common. Karen watched us taking Tonya's winter class and decided to try some letters on her own. She claimed she was struggling... also asked me what I thought she could do to represent this cute song about the donkey. I sent her a sketch that I came up with, but little did I know she was already creating her own beautiful quilt! I just love it, don't you?? She doesn't seem to be struggling an awful lot! She's just too humble, that's all

Karen doesn't have a blog, so I'm posting her work of art here. She said "no one knows me, so it'll be OK." ha! Karen reads this blog, so please post messages here about her quilt. She can read them and find out if we think her work is "OK" or not.

16 comments:

Donna said...

I've never heard the song, but the quilt is great!

Anonymous said...

I never heard the song but went to your link. I too like the song and LOVE the quilt
GREAT JOB!!!!
Dawn in MA

Tracey in CT said...

The quilt is beautiful!!

Rose Marie said...

Your friend did a GREAT job! Bravo to her!

Magpie Sue said...

Karen did a terrific job!

QuiltingFitzy said...

Karen, we have LOTS to learn from you. Please, please start a blog.

Your quilt is WONDERFUL!!!

Kristin Shields said...

It is fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Karen, you did a great job. i love the mix of applique and piecing - it makes a wonderful whole. congrats.

antique quilter said...

Great job by Karen too!
wow! I love how all these quilts turned out
another great class by Tonya.
I never heard this song either.
Kathie

Anonymous said...

That's one lovely song and your quilt is awesome. Karen, you're on your way to becoming "known"!

I didn't know about this song before today so glad you gave the link to see the words.
diane

jude said...

i don't know the song, but the quilt is great!

Sweet P said...

I've heard the song. Karen's quilt is gorgeous!

Juliann in WA said...

I love this song and love this quilt. What an inspirational piece. Thanks for posting for yoru friend.

Laura said...

Fabulous! What a fantastic quilt!

Mary Johnson said...

I love that song and Karen's quilt. I didn't have time to play along for real either but I had fun making my Holiday House inspired by the Winter Class.

Helen in the UK said...

Great quilt - especially like all the different blues in the background :)